Monday, May 5, 2008

Malaysia Airlines RM0 fares

Another AirAsia promo?


Or not?

Recently most of us have heard or read about the offers by Malaysia airlines offering RM0 fares for domestic flights. While competition is great for us consumers, I find the way of promotion is shameless. No originality, first glance, you would think that it is an AirAsia advertisement. I guess one could argue that MAS is trying to say something with the advertisement. MAS is back, RIIPPP bye bye airasia, well thats a friend's exact words.

Let's take a look at the differences


Airport tax
Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia Airlines: RM120
AirAsia: RM71.50

Online Booking lead time
Malaysia Airlines: 2 days before flight
AirAsia: 4 hours before flight

Most people would probably consider that with Malaysia Airlines you get the following:

  • No panic rushing to queue up

  • Numbered Seating

  • Food on board

  • No luggage handling fee and greater luggage allowances

Well, I guess if your really need the benefits with Malaysia Airlines then this is great news for you. As for me, I'm still an AirAsia supporter. I respect originality and dislike the way a large airline is unable to think of innovative ways to promote and market their services. I hope that the airline industry here becomes more liberalised allowing AirAsia to take on more routes.

No comments: