Saturday, September 25, 2010

D'KL Restaurant Likas Review

Looking for some Indonesian food? or tired of Nasi Padang Ibu at Jesselton Point? There's a new joint in town called D'KL located in Kampung Likas. Thanks to the famous blogger AhBing, I now have a second place to go to when it comes to indonesian food.

According to the staff there, the place only recently open (just a couple of months). One thing to note before trying to go there is that they operate from a house. So don't try to look for a shoplot when you try to find the restaurant. I made this mistake when I first came by here.

Look for a house with lots of chairs and tables
They have just enough space to park 2-3 cars inside the compound. Once that is full you'll have to park by the roadside. Gotta be careful when parking or reversing at night as the street is pretty dark and there are many open drains that are ready to swallow up your car or passengers.

Nice waterfall by the front gate

Indoor sitting

The ambiance is absolutely fantastic. From the moment you walkin you are greeted by the sounds a a small waterfall and friendly waiting staff. There are two seating options available, indoors or outdoors. The indoor option features a unique experience where you have your meals while seated on the floor (they give you a nice kaison bought cushion to sit on). If you need some back support I'd suggest that you take the outdoor seats. My legs went numb after a while, so the next time I would probably try having my meals outdoors.

Nice home made menu
There are quite a number of choices on the menu. Ranging from different styles of chicken, beef, fish, sotong and vege dishes. Surprised they have a breakfast menu serving typical roti kahwin, sausages and eggs all at close to coffeeshop pricing. I found the nasi lemak set priced very reasonably and would want to give it a go for lunch one day.

Wash your hands here

Now time for the food. We decided to order set meals and add some side dishes. The set includes rice, acar, keropok, soup and sambal together with your main dish.

Kangkung Belacan

Ayam Penyet Set + Tahu Goreng + Perkedel
The portions are on the large side, at least for the chicken dishes. My ayam penyet took up 1/3rd of my plate. When they served this, I thought to myself that I should have ordered one less dish. Tahu Goreng was lovely, not like the other greasy version's that I've tried. Its a pity they don't have much sauce on it. The Perkedel was just normal, they are quite generous with the coriander, so some might not like that.

Ayam Bakar Taliwang Set
My wife had this set, I stole a small chunk to have a try. The flavours are unique, smokey, sweet and mildly spicy. According to my wife (she's Indonesian), the real Taliwang is super spicy, this was nothing close to the genuine one. Guess they might have adjusted it for local taste.
Close up
Service isn't the fastest especially when it comes to getting the bill but they are really friendly. Definately recommend this place to anyone who fancies or curious to try indonesian cuisine (hard to find here in KK).

1 comment:

rhm slzr said...

yeah, the food is seriously delicious.